Director of On Air and Digital Fundraising
WABE is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, WABE is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WABE TV, WABE.org and numerous podcasts and digital offerings. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org.
The Membership Team enables WABE to carry out its public media mission by raising monthly and annual contributions from individuals for TV, Radio, and Digital program support, as well as special projects at WABE. The Membership Team is responsible for relationship building through campaigns and direct response solicitations, member engagement, and events to provide WABE with the economic resources to pursue its mission. To meet and exceed revenue goals, the Membership Team coordinates with all other departments at WABE, as well as multiple external vendors, as appropriate.
The Director of On Air and Digital Fundraising is a leader in the Membership Team, reporting to the Senior Vice President of Membership & Business Development. The Director of On Air and Digital Fundraising is responsible for strategizing and producing television and radio on-air fundraising campaigns – including pre-production, scheduling and training talent; creating rundowns and scripts for campaigns, production of on-air breaks and spots, and integrating Best-Practices to meet departmental goals. On Air and Digital strategies are integrated and comprehensive to achieve the goal of growing the overall membership file through acquisition and retention.
Beyond pledge drives, On Air and Digital campaigns will provide year-round promotional support to multiple revenue categories including, but not limited to, Vehicle Donations, Sustainers, Passport, Matching Gifts, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Stewardship Journey and Member Benefits. The Director of On Air and Digital Fundraising will work closely with vendors and the Digital Fundraising Manager to conceptualize fresh, integrated on air and digital fundraising campaigns and appeals.
This position oversees the Digital Fundraising Manager as well as relationships with external vendors and consultants that support the work year-round. This position will also stay in tune with national benchmarking data, attend public media webinars, learn from colleagues at other public radio and tv stations, and make presentations at meetings and conferences.
- Utilize today’s most effective practices of public Radio and TV fundraising while testing new innovative approaches.
- Conduct state-of-the-system research on PBS and NPR sites a well as Pledge Chat, Greater Public, Trac Media, etc. for break points, message points, and best practices for on-air fundraising production.
- Network with other stations to develop and test new concepts for on-air and digital pledge opportunities.
- Strategize, plan, implement and evaluate WABE Radio and TV on-air campaigns to encourage new, renewed and upgraded contributions from listeners, viewers, streamers, subscribers and fans.
- Create yearly plans to meet revenue and expense budget goals, including setting and sharing campaign and drive dates, and brainstorming new techniques that will be tested.
- Work closely with the Digital Fundraising manager to develop the strategy for each digital campaign.
- Set up timelines and project plans to ensure that all assets and initiatives can be executed on time on each platform.
- Work with the team responsible for drafting pledge drive program schedules (The Programming Service) and ensure timely completion and schedule distribution to key stakeholders.
- Identify local concerts and ticketed opportunities and negotiate workable arrangements with venues and concert promoters.
- Identify programs requiring locally produced breaks and oversee the creation and execution of these breaks, including script writing, setting premium levels.
- Recruit and train volunteer talent, with emphasis on greater diversity.
- Integrate pledge opportunities within digital and social media by initiating efforts and campaigns within our own team.
- Provide regular updates about drive performance and write a full review of each major drive, providing insights into budget impact and sharing insights about drive performance that shape future planning.
- Produce and host TV and Radio Campaign live and pre-recorded “pledge” breaks and spots.
- Recruit, train and schedule on air hosts, pitch partners and production assistants.
- Work with marketing staff and direct marketing vendor to develop core messaging/scripting for all on-air and digital campaigns and spots.
- During the live campaign breaks, serve as line producer to oversee communication with talent to keep them “on message” and work in partnership with the Director to maintain the structure and continuity for the live campaign breaks.
- Produce support spots for pledge drive introductions, mission message, promotional spots and in-kind thank you’s
- Coordinate development and creation of on air and premium graphics.
- Maintain an archive of documents, i.e. run-downs, program timings, logs, scripts, contacts, spots, etc.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Preferably 8+ years of public media fundraising experience.
- 5+ years of TV production experience and 3+ years of Radio experience.
- 3 to 5 years of experience as on-air fundraising host and producer.
- Must be able to write strong, compelling messages for Radio and TV on-air direct response.
- Ability to analyze fundraising results and amend strategies/plans based on findings.
- Ability to manage and inspire teams to work collaboratively.
- Desire to support and promote an inclusive work environment and cultivate strong, productive relationships across internal WABE departments.
- Previous supervisory and budget/financial management experience.
- Ability to manage staff and lead freelance production studio and field crews.
- Must be able to reprioritize projects quickly based on changing needs and new opportunities.
- Must be active on and knowledgeable about popular social media platforms.
- Must be knowledgeable about digital fundraising best practices for public media.
- A curious mind and natural desire to develop, test and evaluate new strategies is essential.
- Strong multi-tasker and ability to produce products from start to finish effectively under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, team-player and flexibility to change course.
- Mentoring, training, and supervision skills.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment. Position, at least initially, will be located off-site in accordance with station policy on off-site work for most staff in response to coronavirus. Candidates must be willing and able to work from home but provide their own transportation to the station once off-site work conditions are lifted. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required to support departmental events or during high volume work periods (typically radio pledge drives).