Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 and the digital service Atlanta PlanIt. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org.
PBA has an exciting opportunity in our Development department for a dynamic fundraising and donor relations professional with on air experience. Reporting to the VP-Development, the Director of On Air Fundraising and Strategic Initiatives is responsible for driving revenue from on-air fundraising campaigns (TV and radio) and the WABE vehicles donation program, as well as providing cross-team collaboration and leadership to drive growth of sustainer revenue.
The On-Air Fundraising responsibilities range from planning, strategy, and research to script-writing and
on-air pitching for Radio and TV Pledge. This position works at a high level of collaboration with the PBA content department, partnering with the Director of Special Projects on the radio pledge member drive and the Multiplatform Producer on TV pledge campaigns.
The Director of On Air Fundraising and Strategic Initiatives also oversees and creates an annual strategy to drive net revenue through ticketed events and other local experiences and premiums for TV Pledge and manages the Senior Coordinator, On Air Pledge and Communications. This position leads strategies, annual goals and on-air tactics to drive sustainer revenue for on air campaigns and co-leads the departments Sustainer Task Force.
- Develop and execute strategies to grow annual net revenue via on-air pledge campaigns (TV and Radio) including planning, collaboration with content partners, pitching and script writing.
- Develop annual TV and radio pledge calendars and lead cross-team strategy development for pledge drives in high collaboration with content team, VP Development, and PBA executives.
- Serve as key point of contact with the content team and The Programming Service (vendor) to develop programming recommendations to achieve TV pledge goals.
- Cultivate and procure local content (concerts, experiences, other local engagement) to drive TV pledge revenue beyond standard PBS premium tactics.
- Collaborate with marketing and advise membership services on premiums for on air drives.
- Develop messaging and parameters for internal TV pledge content production, working closely with Multiplatform Producer, who leads on production implementation.
- Serve as a host and potentially self-produce TV and radio pledge content. Ideal candidate will have experience working in a production/media environment or production experience.
- Contribute to developing annual revenue and expense budget goals for the development department and monitor progress against goals.
- Devise and execute specific tactics designed to achieving team sustainer goals.
- Oversee and track net revenue results for TV and Radio pledge, especially during on-air drives and share drive results to drive real-time decision-making and programming adjustments.
- Network within PBS and NPR systems and drive strategic initiatives designed to surface innovations and help make PBA an industry leader in on air drives.
- Analyze PBA performance vs. industry data to elevate successful, innovative strategies to help the team make data driven decisions and identify new net revenue drivers.
- Oversee Senior Coordinator of On-Air Pledge and Communications to drive growth in vehicles revenue, including promoting the program across PBA platforms and fundraising channels.
- Collaborate closely with VP Development and marketing team on events, membership communications strategies and digital campaigns, and devise creative requirements for ona-air drives and related website and dig.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of five to ten years of related fundraising work and supervisory experience.
- Ability to plan strategically, lead and be innovative.
- Strong presenting skills and excellent verbal and written skills.
- Highly motivated, team-oriented, and ability to be a self-starter.
- Proficient in coaching including the ability to lead and inspire peers and direct reports.
- Strong strategy development and planning skills and ability to lead team toward results.
- On-air pledge drive implementation experience.
- Ability to handle diverse, simultaneous tasks, meet deadlines, and follow through.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Excel and Word and familiarity with fundraising databases.
- Production, special event, and development experience preferred.
- Occasional evenings and weekends are required, particularly during pledge periods.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical
office environment. Position, at least initially, will be located off-site in accordance with station policy on offsite work for most staff in response to coronavirus. Candidates must be willing and able to work from home but provide their own transportation to the station once off-site work conditions are lifted