Tuesday on “Closer Look with Rose Scott”:
- 0:00: Rose gives a news brief on Archbishop Wilton Gregory addressing the media this afternoon following last week’s announcement that Pope Francis has appointed Gregory to serve as the new head of the Archdiocese in Washington, D.C.
- In other news, Georgia Democratic Sen. Jen Jordan (District 6) testified before a Senate Judiciary Committee today on “Abortion Until Birth: The Need to Pass the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act”. Jordan spoke out against the Georgia legislature’s recent passage of the so-called ‘Heartbeat Bill,’ which bans abortions after six weeks of pregnancy. The bill still awaits Governor Brian Kemp’s signature.
- Finally, Tarana Burke, founder of the Me Too Movement, will be in Atlanta today speaking to students in the Atlanta University Center. It’s part of a multi-city tour to raise awareness around sexual harassment and assault.
- 4:12: The United Kingdom had been due to leave the European Union on March 29, 2019, two years after it started the exit process, but the withdrawal agreement reached between the EU and UK has been rejected three times by United Kingdom Prime Ministers. EU leaders agreed to extend the Article 50 process further and the current Brexit date is set for next week, however, Prime Minister Theresa May has again requested an extension until June – EU leaders will consider her request this week. A conversation with the Atlanta based British Consul General of the Southeast Andrew Staunton on Brexit, trade and innovation in the southeast, and the role of the Consul General here in Atlanta.
- 33:24: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has awarded Georgia State University a five-year, $3.75 million grant to establish a Prevention Research Center that will focus on the health and health disparities of refugees and migrants. We learn more about the research project from Michael Eriksen, Interim Vice President for research and economic development at Georgia State and Dr. Mary Helen O’Connor, Senior Faculty Associate for Perimeter College in the Office of International Initiatives.
Closer Look is produced by Candace Wheeler and Grace Walker. Joy Barge contributed to this report.