Tuesday on “Closer Look with Rose Scott”:
- 0:00: Rose gives a news brief with this week’s weather forecast.
- In other news, there were two drownings within twenty-four hours at Lake Lanier this weekend. Both deaths were accidents, according to initial reports from the Hall County Sheriff’s Office.
- Also, Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms signed legislation to close the Atlanta City Detention Center this morning. Atlanta City Council approved a resolution on Monday, May 20, to create a task force that will suggest new uses for the facility. Mayor Bottoms called for the closing of ACDC last year.
- 7:15: Located in the middle of Old Fourth Ward, Inman Park, Reynoldstown and Cabbagetown sits Hulsey Yard, a 70-acre property full of railway. Recently, this plot of land, which is centrally located near the BeltLine and two MARTA stations, has been the center of some speculation. That’s because Hulsey Yard’s property owner, CSX Corporation, recently announced that it will move operations out of the yard. CSX has not announced plans to sell the land, but many in the community believe this will be the company’s next move. For the past few years, a group known as the Hulsey Yard Study Committee has been planning the future of this property. Nicole Seekely, chair of the Hulsey Yard Study Committee, shares the group’s desired plan and the results of a recently conducted a community survey.
- 32:52: Legendary musician Eddy Grant stops by the Closer Look studios while visiting Atlanta. The breakout ‘80s star shares his thoughts on longevity in an ever-changing music business. Grant is scheduled to share his musical journey on June 1 at the Stonecrest Library Auditorium in Lithonia, Georgia. An exhibit documenting Grant’s more than 50 years in music will follow. More information about that event can be found here.
Closer Look is produced by Candace Wheeler and Grace Walker. Joy Barge is a contributing producer.