Thursday on “Closer Look with Rose Scott and Jim Burress”:
- 0:00: Frank Brown, executive director of Communities In Schools of Atlanta, discusses the Every Student Succeeds Act;
- 15:12: Martha Dalton interviews state schools Superintendent Richard Woods about a waiver Georgia received from the No Child Left Behind Act and other aspects of the law;
- 22:48: Fulton County Chief Judge Jackson Bedford talks about his side career as jolly old Saint Nick;
- 34:17: Rose Scott reports on the career and life of the late Atlanta opera singer Mattiwilda Dobbs;
- 41:45: Candace Wheeler looks at what’s trending, including “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” Brazil’s ban on WhatsApp and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees.
- 47:03: University of Massachusetts-Amherst researcher Steve Williams talks about new technology that could help scientists quickly identify a disease outbreak by looking at mosquitos;
- 59:24: Atlanta-area teens share how HIV has affected them as part of VOX ATL’s “VOX Investigates” project on the disease;
- 1:03:18: Eboni Lemon reports from the local gift-wrapping boutique That’s A Wrap! as part of Closer Look’s series on seasonal jobs;
- 1:09:08: Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed discusses his recent trip to Paris for the international climate talks, a proposed half-cent sales tax to fund MARTA and other topics.