WABE is Atlanta’s number one station for public radio. We’re looking for an enthusiastic, innovative, reliable, results and detailed oriented person who demonstrates the drive to achieve. This is a position responsible for anchoring local news segments within weekday magazine programs heard on PBA’s broadcasting platforms. Must have experience as an on-air host, reporter and producer in broadcasting. Strong public speaking, writing, interviewing, production, and editorial skills are a necessity. Applicants must be able to (with an NPR style) conduct both live and recorded interviews during on-air-shift, generate story ideas, put together spot news and feature news reports. Candidates should embrace working under tight deadlines, working independently and as part of a team. Air shift may vary depending on needs of station management, but not be limited to weekday mornings, midday or evenings (to include holidays). Off-air appearances on behalf of the station are expected and duties also include on-air fundraising.
- Serves as WABE host during drive time shift, presenting local news, interviews and feature reports in the public radio style.
- Utilizes experience and personality to carry local segments of a public radio newsmagazine and works to deliver a higher market share.
- Manages direct reports (producers or reporters) and functions as a senior producer of local content to help shape the overall editorial direction of the newsroom.
- Interviews newsmakers on a breaking news timeline. Strong editorial judgment and subject knowledge of Atlanta-area and Georgia news are key elements for this position.
- Works to compile stories and live on-air presentation of local content. This will be a combination of in-studio production, interviewing and coverage of special news assignments as directed.
- Researches, writes and produces local news features, interviews and long-form public affairs programs.
- Serves on behalf of the station as a spokesperson and/or representative at assigned station events or other community related forums.
- Develop, write and produce news stories/content specifically for digital distribution (Internet, social media, podcasts, etc.)
- Responsible for monitoring sources such as wires and social media for breaking news.
- Responsible for combo operation, running your own board.
Seeks out new voices to appear on air, and develops local and national contacts for breaking news sources. Gather sound and conduct interviews. Serve as “first responder” in breaking news stories that may require extended working hours.
- Primary contact and editor for WABE content partners.
- Acts a multi-platform host/reporter.
- Participate in on-air fund drives and other fundraising activities.
- Other duties as assigned by News Director and Station Management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Personable broadcast journalist to act as drive time host and senior producer.
- Ability to serve as a direct supervisor to at least one producer.
- Share expertise with newsroom staff, including producers and/or reporters.
- Strong managerial, editorial and interviewing skills are a necessity.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or similar field from an accredited college or university and at least five years of editorial oversight or applicable newsroom experience.
- Proven record of accomplishment in news coverage, newsgathering, news writing and news anchoring/reporting in radio or television.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct both live and tape interviews during on-air shifts, as well as generate story ideas and put together both spot news and feature news reports.
- Ability to respond to rapidly changing news events. Must be able to handle breaking local news during regular on-air shifts and host special programming.
- This position will have high visibility within metropolitan Atlanta.
- Willingness to take part in on-air pledge drives as well as community-related events.
- Preferred knowledge of running an on-air radio control board.
- Must have excellent and proven ability to edit.
- Management skills
- Presentation skills
- Leadership skills
- Teamwork orientation
- Problem Solving
- Customer/Audience focus
- Interpersonal skills
- Organization skills
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Click here to apply online