WABE is launching Gold Dome Scramble, a new pop-up podcast from “Political Breakfast” that brings the state legislature to the people.
“Many people want clarity about how the legislative process works,” says “Morning Edition” host Lisa Rayam, who will also host “Gold Dome Scramble.” “We’re making this podcast so our metro Atlanta community can understand everything that’s happening at the Georgia State Capitol (often referred to as the Gold Dome) from beginning to end.
Throughout the 2020 legislative session, Rayam will talk with reporters from the WABE newsroom to break things down for our listeners — the issues being considered, and the bills getting sorted through various committees. They’ll lay out the context and explain what comes next. Episodes will be clear, concise and short — with each lasting less than 15 minutes.
You can listen to “Gold Dome Scramble” by subscribing to “Political Breakfast” wherever you get your podcasts.
“This is a practical look at the big issues,” says “Gold Dome Scramble” producer and WABE senior editor Susanna Capeluoto. “We examine the pressure points of a given issue, and what’s ahead in terms of it passing through the legislature.”
Capelouto says the podcast will focus on the issues, not on how state politicians are posturing.
“It’s not in the weeds, and you don’t have to follow Georgia politics every day to enjoy this,” she said. “You’ll have fun while you’re learning about state government.”
Every state sets its legislative calendar, with some state governments meeting throughout the year and others meeting every other year. Georgia follows a calendar similar to about 30 other states with an annual, relatively short session starting on the second Monday in January and lasting 40 workdays.
In addition to the Monday episodes of “Gold Dome Scramble,” WABE political contributor Denis O’Hayer will continue to host new episodes of “Political Breakfast” on Friday mornings. His spirited and friendly conversations with political strategists Brian Robinson and Tharon Johnson will now be a weekly podcast, rather than bi-weekly.
Don’t miss WABE’s “Gold Dome Scramble,” and remember:
- Episodes are released every Monday morning, starting Jan. 13, for the duration of Georgia’s legislative session.
- A shorter broadcast version of “Gold Dome Scramble” can be heard each Monday during “Morning Edition” at 7:45 and 9:45 a.m. on WABE 90.1 FM.
- Find it in the “Political Breakfast” podcast feed on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
- Expect to hear conversations about teacher pay raises, gang crackdowns, casino gambling, gun rights, religious freedom, adoption reform, and more.
- Hosted by WABE “Morning Edition” host Lisa Rayam.
- Featuring WABE’s statehouse reporters Emma Hurt and Emil Moffatt, healthcare reporter Sam Whitehead, education reporter Martha Dalton, and many others from the WABE newsroom.
- “Gold Dome Scramble” is informative, fun and concise!
We know that 2020 is going to be a big year, and WABE is committed to keeping you informed with the facts and clarity that you rely on.