Summary: This is a professional position serving as a producer for WABE’s mid-day program,
‘Closer Look’. This program provides an in-depth focus to local issues and views international,
national and regional news through a local perspective. This position requires excellent skills in organization, verbal communication, writing, producing, editing, multitasking and time management. It will also require the individual to take part in the strategy to develop content for the program. This position will be expected to generate creative and engaging segment ideas, book guests, write scripts, edit audio, field produce in-depth interviews, conduct
interviews as needed and assure the overall accuracy of the programming. It also requires solid experience in producing an on-air program or creating NPR style, in-depth stories and interviews. As a producer, you will need to work well in a team setting, but also be a self-starter who can spot engaging stories and know how to present them to a wide ranging audience. In this role you will need to be a curious, news lover who is constantly aware of the latest issues politically, socially and within the community. This position requires the ability to interact with potential guests and the community at-large on a variety of subjects.
Shifts are assigned by Senior Producer and are subject to change based on needs of the
• Would be expected to generate creative segment ideas, record stories and edit to
completion for use on-air and online.
• Would be expected to book guests, coordinate with the senior producer and hosts, and
deliver compelling public radio style content.
• Will need to attend weekly planning meetings and help generate story ideas.
• Works under the direction of the supervisor to research, book and produce daily news
segments for the program.
• Pre-interviews guests and provides hosts with prep materials for interviews.
• This role will require a combination of in-studio production, interviewing, coverage of
special news events as directed, and working with technical equipment related to
• Works on deadlines.
• Will require in-the field reporting, which could include but is not limited to collecting
audio, conducting interviews, or producing segments for hosts.
• Other duties as assigned by the Senior and Executive Producer.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Experience and Education Requirements
• Four (4) year college degrees desirable or equivalent experience in the field of radio
production, journalistic reporting or digital media production.
• Three to 4 years of detail oriented, fast paced work, preferably broadcast production or
in a producer capacity.
Necessary Skills and Abilities
• Technical experience and good working knowledge of current broadcast recording and
production equipment, NPR reporting and audio standards and studio and remote
production interview set-up.
• Previous experience in a producer role that required booking guests, and daily
• Skilled writing that meets all standard writing guidelines and that is both technically
sound as well as compelling.
• Previous experience conducting interviews
Organizational Skills, Project Management, Team Work Orientation
Work Environment & Physical Demands: The physical demands and work environment
described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), accepting shipments, filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Click here to apply online