We can’t change our history, but we can let it guide us to understanding.
Buried Truths acknowledges and unearths still-relevant stories of injustice, resilience and racism in the American South. The podcast is hosted by journalist, professor, and Pulitzer-prize-winning author, Hank Klibanoff.
Season 1 tells the story of Isaiah Nixon, a father of six who, in 1948, exercised his right to vote and paid with his life. Isaiah’s story provides insight into voter suppression, disenfranchisement, and much more. Season 2 tells the story of A.C. Hall, a black teenager who was mistakenly identified as a gun thief in 1962, Macon, Georgia. Through A.C.’s story, host Hank Klibanoff examines police privilege, racial conditioning, community activism, and much more. Season 3 is in production.
Buried Truths has been widely recognized for its deep, historical understanding, intensive research, and moving storytelling – winning the Peabody Award, Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Journalism Award, Edward R. Murrow Award and a Webby honoree. Lesson plans based on the podcast received the National Educational Telecommunications Association (NETA) Award.
Connect With The Show And Spread The Word
There are many ways to connect with Buried Truths:
- Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Download the podcast club discussion guide.
- Download the lesson plans for middle and high school classrooms.
- Help us to better understand our audience by taking this survey.
- Make a donation to WABE, the Atlanta NPR station that produces the podcast.
- Follow Buried Truths on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram.
- Sign up for our newsletter.
- An in-depth look at Emory students’ work on the Isaiah Nixon case as part of the Georgia Civil Rights Cold Cases Project at Emory University, which Hank directs – Watch Now
- Peabody acceptance speech for Season 1 – Watch Now
- Season 2 Trailer – Watch Now
How are we going to keep them from the polls?
A.C. Hall lived until he was seventeen years old. On an October night in 1962, he encountered two police officers investigating a stolen gun. They were looking for a colored man…and they found A.C. In season 2 of Buried Truths, Hank Klibanoff examines A.C.’s story and the surrounding context. It’s a story of injustice, resilience and racism in the American South. We can’t change our history, but we can let it guide us to understanding.
Listen to all episodes from your favorite podcast app.