Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 (ATL-PBA) and numerous podcasts and digital offerings. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org.
Reporting directly to the VP of Media & Business Technology, the Sr. Director of Media & Business Technology for WABE will be an innovative, creative, collaborative, and technical driven professional who will provide technical and design services for systems utilized across TV, Radio, Digital & IT. This position will take a heterogeneous approach to redesigning and building NextGen processes to support the organization’s overall strategic goals and oversee the daily engineering operations. The position will also strategically keep the organization at the forefront of technological trends with strong project integration management skills. The role includes advising, implementing, managing, budgeting and being hands on with successfully navigating technologies and forward planning to identify necessary equipment replacements and up-grades. The position will also oversee maintenance and installation of broadcast technology and networking equipment, to include systems and equipment utilized at the transmitter, in the studios, control rooms and edit suites. This position is an integration of IT and will work closely and collaboratively throughout the organization and with external partners to define technical project and engineering requirements.
- Working with VP of Media & Business Technology, develops a strategic approach to technology management, budgeting, and planning.
- Effectively communicates up to VP of Media & Business Technology and CPO on critical technology issues, short-term, and long-term planning.
- Leads efforts to ensure all documentation, technical standards and processes are developed and met.
- Works closely with the Sr. Network Engineer and other stakeholders to design, implement and test a Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity plan.
- Collaborate with team members to develop and maintain an equipment management system with equipment life cycle to ensure that system and equipment documentation is current and implement processes to continuously review and improve systems and documentation.
- Proficient in utilizing collaborative cloud tools such as Media Asset Management tools, AWS, and Office365 suite also utilizing a helpdesk ticketing system.
- Sets and establishes high quality technical standards and priorities that are aligned with business goals, mission, and vision.
- Evaluates new TV/Radio broadcast & IT equipment to identify the most suitable solutions to meet project requirements.
- Works collaboratively and inclusive with VP of Media & Business Technology to inform and provide advice on technological needs of the organization, new technology capabilities and solutions.
- Works as an inclusive leader that brings internal and external (as needed) stakeholders to planning, processes and projects.
- Develops technology strategies to stay abreast of new Nextgen evolving technologies.
- Proactively documents all broadcast and technology connectivity, processes, and projects.
- Oversee the management of preventive maintenance, diagnosis and repair at transmitter and microwave sites, while managing the services and relationship with the outsourced Master Control vendor.
- Designing and monitoring audiovisual links between units in different locations.
- Analyzing and repairing technical faults on equipment and systems as needed.
- Minimizes loss of service when equipment fails by quickly identifying and implementing alternative methods of service provision.
- Setting up and operating equipment and transmission links during outside broadcasts.
- Interpreting and implementing instructions and requests from producers, directors and other colleagues or external partners.
- Communicating effectively with members of the team and other colleagues.
- Provide engineering support for live productions and postproduction workflows.
- Provides first call response for broadcast and on-air emergencies, ensuring all incidents and service requests are properly resolved, documented, and classified.
- Staff and project management, mentoring and training.
- This position will assist in maintaining the broadcast technical infrastructure and provide labor for project execution, including cabling and equipment racking.
- Ongoing maintenance, configuring and updating of all broadcasting systems and equipment, including but not limited to:
- – Video servers
- – On-air playout and switching system
- – RF systems and broadcast systems (encoders, PSIP, microwave encoder, etc.)
- – IRD systems
- – Radio and News automation systems (Enco, Newsboss)
- – Automation systems, downlink systems and transcoding
- Knowledge of the technology and implementation for ATSC 3.0, AoIP, SMPTE 2110
- Ensure compliance with all FCC regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience, including education, training and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position (such as broadcast, video, and audio experience).
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in electrical engineering, computer sciences or a related discipline. Certification desired.
- Strong leadership, management, and mentoring
- Ability to effectively manage complex projects and large budgets and lead a team to successful task completion.
- Creative, collaborative, and innovative professional with a can-do attitude that translates ideas into action.
- Ability to explain/describe complex technical terms and projects in easy-to-understand terms to non-technical personnel.
- Familiarity with various test instruments and alignment apparatuses.
- Detailed oriented and highly accurate in record keeping and work habits.
- Experience with maintaining existing systems and equipment, including both TV and FM transmission equipment, STL and Satellite reception equipment, while planning and designing new systems, equipment to meet changing needs of the organization.
- Advance knowledge of Windows, Linux, and or Mac OSX operating systems.
- Familiarity working in IP including local area networking, file handling, and protocol management as it relates to the broadcast environment.
- Experience in electronic engineering and using communication equipment for sufficient color, vision, and hearing levels.
- The ability to utilize a solid knowledge of a mixed analog/digital, SDI/IP broadcast environment.
- FCC General Radiotelephone License
- Certified Professional Broadcast Engineer (CPBE)
- ITIL/ITSM Foundation Certification
- Project Management Experience
Strong leadership skills, ability to present at various levels, detail oriented and must possess excellent verbal and interpersonal communications skills. Must be highly motivated, enthusiastic and possess desire to achieve, with an ability to be a self-starter. Must be able to operate with flexibility, remain calm under pressure, be proactive and be results oriented. Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. Will require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 25 lbs.), filing documents, climbing, storing equipment, and working around high voltage equipment. Proper lifting techniques required. Working in spaces/rooms with various temperatures and lighting, confined spaces, and broadcast equipment as found in a typical technical broadcast environment in addition to working outdoors in all types of weather conditions and temperatures.