WABE Announces Five New Members to Board of Directors
New members will enhance WABE’s focus on accelerating audience reach, transforming content mix and digital offerings, and leading the path forward for local journalism.
(November 11, 2022) WABE, Atlanta’s choice for NPR and PBS, is pleased to announce the appointment of five new members to the AETC Board of Directors for a three-year term, which begins on January 20, 2023.
Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC), a 501 (c) 3 public telecommunications enterprise, was founded in September 1994 to operate WABE. The AETC Board of Directors is made up of members of the community committed to preserving and promoting the mission of public media in Atlanta.
New to the Board of Directors are:
- AFSHAN ALI, Division Vice President of Telehealth. Jackson & Coker—Afshan Ali brings 20+ years of experience in healthcare, technology, and management consulting. She is a graduate of Southern Methodist University’s Cox School of Business and has been recognized by the Atlanta Business Chronicle as a “Woman Who Means Business.” She is a graduate of the Leadership Atlanta 2018 class.
- STEVE COHEN, Partner/Agent & Head of UTA Atlanta—Steve Cohen is a partner and agent in the Motion Picture Talent department and head of the Atlanta office at UTA. His clients include Kevin Hart, Jessica Alba, Owen Wilson, and The Jonas Brothers, among others. Originally from New Jersey, Cohen attended Emory University.
- PENELOPE MCPHEE, Author, Journalist and Philanthropic Consultant—Penelope McPhee served as president of The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation from 2004 until retiring in February 2021. A national leader in the arts, McPhee joined Knight Foundation in 1990 to launch its Arts and Culture Program. She is a five-time Emmy winner, who has also won awards from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and the National Association of Television Program Executives.
- ANTONIO D. ROBINSON, Senior Vice President–Corporate Social Responsibility, Carter’s, Inc—Antonio Robinson serves on the Carter’s, Inc. leadership team with responsibility for Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG), Diversity and Inclusion, and Ethics and Compliance. Before joining Carter’s in August 2010, Robinson was a shareholder in Littler Mendelson, P.C. Atlanta’s office. Robinson also serves on the YMCA of Metro Atlanta Board.
- HEDY SILVER RUBINGER, Partner/Healthcare Practice Chair, Arnall Golden Gregory LLP—Hedy Silver Rubinger is a partner and chair of AGG’s Healthcare practice and serves on the firm’s executive committee. She is also a frequent author and lecturer and has earned numerous awards and honors, including the Daily Report Georgia Legal Awards Distinguished Leader in 2022.
“I’m honored to welcome each of our new members to the Board of Directors,” said Jennifer Dorian, WABE president and CEO. “As we execute against WABE’s strategic plan to ‘Double Down on the ATL,’ it is especially important our board not only reflect the communities we serve, but also provides expertise needed to help WABE grow our reach, go deeper into digital and remain a leader in field of non-profit, local journalism.”
Board of Directors
Board President: Ken Bernhardt
Immediate Past President: Andrew Feiler
Vice Chair: Julie Davis Salisbury
Treasurer: Andrew “Andy” Chang
Secretary: Peter Williams
WABE Foundation Chair: Charles “Chuck” Taylor
WABE Advisory Council Chair: Ann Cramer
- AFSHAN ALI, Division Vice President, Jackson and Coker
- KEN BERNHARDT, Regents Professor Emeritus, Georgia State University
- ROBIN BOREN, SVP Finance & Treasurer, Southern Company
- CYNTHIA BRISCOE BROWN, Seat 8 At Large, Atlanta Board of Education
- STEVE COHEN, Partner/Head of Atlanta Office, United Talent Agency
- DR. WILLIAM CLEVELAND, Southwest Atlanta Nephrology, PC
- ANDREW CHANG, Vice President Digital Marketing & Strategy, Summit Health
- ANN CRAMER, Senior Consultant, Coxe Curry
- ANDREW FEILER, Principal, Feiler Photography
- JAMES HOLMES, SVP & North Atlanta Market President, Truist Bank
- MICHAEL LOVE, VP of Business Performance and Analytics, MailChimp
- PENELOPE MCPHEE, Philanthropic Advisor/President Emeritus, Blank Foundation
- EDWIN MARCIAL, CEO, Thirteen Castles Digital
- ANDREA MONTAG, Community Leader
- ANTONIO ROBINSON, SVP-Corporate Social Responsibility, Carter’s, Inc.
- TERESA WYNN ROSEBOROUGH, EVP/General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, The Home Depot
- HEDY RUBINGER, Chair-Healthcare Practice, Arnell Golden Gregory LLP
- JULIE SALISBURY, CEO, The Bee Colony
- CHARLES TAYLOR, CEO, The HT Group LLC
- CYRIL TURNER, CEO, RORS Financial
- AL VIVIAN, President and CEO, BASIC Diversity, Inc.
- PETER WILLIAMS, Head of Business Strategy, Allspring Global Investors
WABE, formerly Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA), operates public media stations WABE (90.1FM) and WABE TV (Channel 30), Atlanta’s original, independent, non-profit sources for news and local stories and choice for NPR and PBS. Our stations deliver fact-based journalism and inclusive, engaging, cultural content that informs, inspires, reflects, and empowers the millions who call the Greater Atlanta area home. WABE’s programs, podcasts, and events make Atlanta’s stories and storytellers accessible and relevant across a variety of platforms for our diverse audience of listeners, viewers, visitors, and members. Go to www.wabe.org for additional information.