Rabid fox attacks at Georgia Tech in Atlanta have parts of the university’s campus taped-off like a crime scene and students taking different routes walking to class.
The college tweeted Tuesday that people should be aware of potentially dangerous feral foxes.
News outlets quote school officials as saying that a rabid fox scratched or bit two students last week. Both are being treated for injuries. Another student had a similar encounter over the weekend.
Georgia Tech spokesman Lance Wallace says one fox was captured and tested positive for rabies. He says early symptoms for people could include a fever and headache, but difficulty swallowing and paralysis can happen if the virus isn’t treated.
Wallace says a state Natural Resources Department officer will help local animal control officials remove the foxes.