A father and son in Fulton County have tested positive for coronavirus.
The 56-year-old man traveled back to Atlanta from Milan last month. They are the first –and at this point only – known cases in the state of Georgia.
According to county officials, the man began feeling symptoms once he was already home. He and his son went to a physician, who then notified the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Both father and son have limited symptoms, and are in home isolation. Another adult and a child in the household are being tested, Dr. Sandra Ford, interim director of the Fulton County Health Department, said on Tuesday.
The county is investigating who the family has been in contact with. Ford said the two children are home-schooled.
She said her message to the public now is the same as it has been: “Continue good hand sanitation, washing your hands frequently. If you cough, cough into your elbow and still wash your hands,” she said. “Keep surfaces clean. And do not go to work or school when you are ill.”
Fulton County chairman Rob Pitts said on Tuesday that the situation is under control, and that the county is taking its cues from the CDC and the State of Georgia.
Officials with the city of Atlanta say they are also preparing to respond to potential health threats.
MARTA says it is continuing to thoroughly clean rail stations, buses, and trains, with a focus on “high touch” areas like handrails, elevator buttons, escalators, and ticket machines.