The United States Supreme Court has kept alive, for now, the Obama-era program that allows immigrants brought to the U.S. as infants and children to work and have a level of protection from deportation.
The court ruled Thursday that the Trump administration attempted to end the program improperly when it announced it was rescinding it in 2017.
Since then, only people who were already enrolled in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, also known as DACA, have been able to remain in America legally and no new applicants have been accepted.
WABE’s host of “All Things Considered” Jim Burress spoke to Emory University professor and citizenship and immigration law expert Polly Price about the lingering uncertainty after the court’s decision.
Price says a question hundreds of thousands of others have about applying for DACA hasn’t been answered.
Price added, “So that’s one of the questions that will be floating around is, does this mean the DHS has to accept new applicants? It’s not clear that’s the case.”
Price says it could take a court order to force the government to resume processing new applications.
WABE’s Maria White Tillman contributed to this story.