The character Mabel “Madea” Simmons is getting a fitting send-off by returning to stages across the South during an upcoming tour.
Director-actor-filmmaker-producer Tyler Perry, who also owns a major studio in Atlanta, is reprising his role as the boisterous matriarch during “Madea’s Farewell Play Tour,” starting Saturday, Jan. 18 in Columbus, Georgia, and ending on Sunday, Feb. 16 in Augusta, Georgia, according to Perry’s website.
“…We are saying goodbye to one of the more beloved characters of stage and screen,” a Tyler Perry news release states.
Madea made her debut appearance in Perry’s first stage play “I Know I’ve Been Changed” that toured from 1998 to 2000. Since then, she has been the star of stage plays and movies, most recently in “A Madea Family Funeral.”
Tour dates were added since the tour was initially announced in December and include the following locations and dates, according to Perry’s website.
- Jan. 18: Columbus, Georgia; Columbus Civic Center
- Jan. 19: Macon, Georgia; Macon Centreplex Coliseum
- Jan. 24: Petersburg, Virginia; VSU Multi-Purpose Center
- Jan. 25: Charlotte, North Carolina; Spectrum Center
- Jan. 26: Charlotte, North Carolina; Spectrum Center
- Feb. 7: Memphis, Tennessee; FedEx Forum
- Feb. 8: New Orleans, Louisiana; Smoothie King Center
- Feb. 9: New Orleans, Louisiana; Smoothie King Center
- Feb.14: Nashville, Tennessee; Bridgestone Arena
- Feb. 15: Augusta, Georgia; to be announced
- Feb. 16: Augusta, Georgia; to be announced
Tickets for Columbus, Macon, Petersburg, Charlotte, Memphis, New Orleans and Nashville tour stops can currently be bought online at Ticketmaster. Right now, prices range from around $45 to $150 per person.
If you plan to see Madea live, buy your tickets soon because seats appear to be filling up quickly in each of the locations.