Chief Technology Officer
WABE is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, WABE is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WABE TV, WABE.org and numerous podcasts and digital offerings. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org.
Chief Technology Officer
The Chief Technology (CTO) serves as principal technology leader of a broad-based public media organization that delivers television, radio, online, and digital content. Directs the strategic design, acquisition, management, and implementation of an enterprise-wide technology infrastructure. The role suited for an entrepreneurial individual who will provide strategic and tactical leadership for media and information technology, broadcast and digital distribution, engineering, facilities and infrastructure services. Will oversee the development and management of digital products for WABE, including web sites, mobile applications and other emerging platforms. Reporting to the President& CEO, the CTO is a key member of the senior leadership team, championing the public service mission and developing a vision to use technology to enable to grow and fulfill that mission. The role will be required to be on top of the leading media technologies and has a firm understanding of the range of technology needed-from broadcast to online-to support a successful non-profit media organization. The CTO is responsible for the strategy, planning, management and overall supervision of IT & Enterprise Systems, Media Engineering, and Systems Engineering & Integration. The CTO ensures the highest possible technical quality of content including on air, programs, streams, apps and other services. The CTO also ensures that all technology operations-from transmitters to IT-are strategically and operationally aligned and is responsible for ensuring that all systems and data are secured to the highest standards.
The Chief Technology of WABE is responsible for all the technology related matters in the company like formulating technology visions and incorporating them in the technological developments. The role will spearhead day to day product development initiatives for WABE. This includes engaging deeply and regularly with our audiences, surfacing and developing requirements from and with all key internal stakeholders, facilitating development sprint planning, designing and implementing streamlined processes and automations, acting as POC with third-party vendors, and helping to grow the digital product team. The position will be responsible for identifying, testing, documenting, deploying, measuring, and monetizing new products, features, and emerging media experiences. This person will ensure that all projects are aligned with the corporate strategic goals and will work to build cross-functional consensus around prioritization and scope of all digital projects.
Accountabilities include, but are not limited to-
- Serve as a member of the leadership team, working collaboratively with other managers.
- Develop a broadcast plan and maintain technology standards for TV broadcast, radio, IT infrastructure, web platforms, and digital streaming.
- Direct the activities necessary to keep the technology infrastructure running seamlessly, efficiently, and effectively while ensuring compliance with established standards and policies.
- Set standards for the technological development in the company and leads staff towards its fulfillment.
- Guide and support the staff of the company in all technological functions of the company.
- Develop technological workflows in collaboration with department heads to ensure efficient, high quality, and cost-effective outcomes for broadcast and digital audio, video, and streaming.
- Interact with the other departments of the company and ensure that all the infrastructure related to software and hardware are in good working condition.
- Works on annual Engineering, Technology, and Departmental Operations budget.
- Develop and manage yearly capital expenditures budget.
- Assists with grant proposals for needed equipment and manages grants within approved limits.
- Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
Digital Product Development
- Combines the organizational skills of project management with a product manager’s talent for understanding how people engage digitally with content in various contexts.
- Understands the power of good process and able to build communication structure and strong cross-functional creative collaboration.
- Great at seeing both the big picture and at building the process to achieving it
- Maintain high-level product roadmaps for key digital products.
- Manage requirements gathering and prioritization around various products
- Collaborate with software engineering and audience data and analytics to maximize resources and produce measurable results.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment.
- Validate internal and external product releases.
- Articulate features and requirements for the design and development team, and document those requirements for WABE senior leadership.
- Document goals and KPIs prior to all releases and launched initiatives
- Develop a deep knowledge of WABE’s existing suite of products for the web and mobile devices, as well as the systems that support them.
- Uncover customer needs and motivations that lead to innovative product ideas through a variety of audience research methods: in-person interviews, direct observation, remote usability testing, surveys and responding to customer support requests.
- Promote features that demonstrate a great chance of success and discard bad, mediocre or merely good product ideas before they are built.
- Build audience and revenue through successful product development and deployment.
- Collaboratively define product vision for WABE in partnership with the digital team, senior stakeholders, and other departments.
Broadcast Engineering & Operations
- Manage, design, operate and maintain TV and radio transmitting facilities, assuring safe and compliant operations.
- Manage broadcast and office IT systems and policies.
- Have the requisite skills to manage and perform analysis and maintain high-power RF Compile and systems, microwave systems, computer network systems, and remote control systems.
- Be able to manage digital editing systems, field acquisition systems and support production.
- Apply industry standards and practices; interpret and implement FCC rules and regulations.
- Organize and manage complex technical projects to build or maintain broadcast infrastructure.
- Make required FCC filings and maintains appropriate records.
- Support WABE compliance efforts with FCC, CPB, NPR, NAB, and PBS rules and regulations.
Business Enterprise & Data Analytics
- Be able to codify and implement technical policies and procedures for the company, assuring an efficient environment for the station.
- Assess organizational workflows and how technology can create help with innovative thinking, collaborative efforts and developing efficiencies.
- Provide oversight for planning, developing, and managing complex real time computer systems and networks.
- Oversee evaluation of IT systems, including database maintenance.
- As part of a team, does contingency planning necessary to keep systems online in all situations.
- Develop process for gathering business critical data and synthesizing data into reports designed to provide insights that promote effective business decisions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science and/or related technical degree, plus exceptional commensurate experience.
Experience working with engineering teams through agile software development and release processes.
Deep understanding of the digital user experience, incl. user behavior and personalization.
Experience with web and application development, especially native mobile, agile/scrum methodologies, test driven development, mobile and web measurement processes and platforms.
Experience with wireframing, rapid prototyping and iterative design process.
Experience and applicable experience in SEO and SEM, and working with consumer-facing Web sites.
Experienced in the use of bug reporting and project management software (Asana, Jira, etc.)
Demonstrated skill and successful experience in organizational change and transition management, including creating efficiencies, and implementing new and emerging technologies, including new/revised work processes.
Must be in touch with the latest developments in technology and how to strategically implement.
Demonstrated emotional intelligence: empathy, trust, integrity and social sensitivity.
Demonstrated experience leading a diverse team to support organizational goals, managing complex projects, budgets, setting and accomplishing goals while managing dynamic priorities.
Excellent communication skills and negotiation skills.
Sharp assessment skills with an ability for ruthless prioritization and triage.
Strong ability to create clarity from ambiguity.
Comfort with and bias towards frequent and deep user research, both qualitative and quantitative.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
Experience in Television and Radio Production and broadcast processes in a medium or large television market highly desired with a strong understanding of the technology necessary to support a growing digital presence.
Deep understanding and background of on-demand audio platforms and channels such as podcasting, digital radio, and smart speaker skill.
Strong experience with content management systems (CMS), preferably for enterprise-level applications.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 10 lbs.), filing documents, recording equipment, laptop, or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment. Moderate noise level consistent with dealing with technical equipment at a transmitter facility.