WABE is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, WABE is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WABE TV, WABE.org and numerous podcasts and digital offerings. For more information on the broadcast service, programming, and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org
WABE News is seeking an experienced photojournalist to collaborate with WABE journalists on the shared goal of improving the visual representation for news stories. This person will work within the WABE Newsroom on the Digital team assisting and collaborating with reporters, producers, and editors on assignment by shooting, editing ,and organizing still photography of subjects, events and locations. They will work with digital editors to conceptualize visuals needed for digital content on wabe.org as well as social media channels. There also will be opportunities for this role to shoot and sometimes edit video for short-form content on wabe.org as well as work with marketing and social media specialists to help represent the WABE brand through those channels.
The position is Atlanta-based and reports to the digital senior editor in the WABE Newsroom.
- Create multi-platform content consisting of still photos and video as part of news assignments
- Work with newsroom editors and reporters to develop visual concepts for stories
- Work directly with reporters, editors, and short-form video editors to plan all aspects of photo and video shoots while specifying a desired outcome
- Develop a system to manage and maintain digital content across multiple platforms and in different formats for easy retrieval.
- B.A. degree in journalism, broadcasting, mass communications or comparable media curriculum, or equivalent experience preferred but not mandatory
- Photojournalists applying for this position must have non-linear image editing experience, knowledge of file-based video transfer and experience as a news photographer and editor.
- At least three years of experience shooting and editing still photography for newsworthy events.
- Expert proficiency in studio lighting, camera software, Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, video and color management tools as well as video editing on an editing platform such as Premiere, Final Cut, or Avid.
Abilities and Traits:
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Exceptional news judgment and caption writing skills.
- Experience covering breaking news as well as long-form stories.
- Ability to collaborate across departments with a variety of people.
- Knowledge of current events.
- Must be results-oriented, innovative and demonstrate leadership and collaboration.
- Must be physically able to carry, shoulder, and shoot with industry-standard photography equipment (25 lbs. or more), as well as carry support equipment (tripod, lights, etc.)
- Must be available to work weekends, overnights, and overtime when requested.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a good driving record. Ability to travel for various assignments.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 25 lbs.), filing documents, photography and recording equipment, laptop, or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. A mix of indoor part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment, as well as outdoor conditions while on assignment. Candidates must be willing and able to commute to work and in the field sites.
For consideration, submit cover letter, resume and file/link containing samples of work to:
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org