WABE 90.1 in Atlanta is hiring for the position of Editor. This is an exciting opportunity to help lead a team of reporters in one of America’s most vibrant cities. The Editor works under the supervision of the News Director and in collaboration with the Senior Editor to manage the day to day coverage of news. The Editor has responsibility and understanding of news planning, reporting, editing, and production. The Editor helps maintain ethical, editorial, and stylistic standards within WABE’s award-winning, ambitious newsroom.
- Help develop and implement an editorial plan for a team of reporters.
- Work with News Director and Senior Editor to determine and execute newsroom goals through coverage streams, reporter beat systems, feature stories, and daily newscast content.
- Work with reporters to develop stories, edit scripts, and integrate audio to enhance storytelling quality and consistency.
- Generate original ideas, and think creatively about how to communicate them to audiences.
- Develop individual staff through team building and mentorship. Inspire ambition and appropriate risk-taking. Serve as a coach and develop talent in others.
- Participate in editorial and planning meetings with reporters and editors as needed.
- Collaborate with digital, television, and podcast departments to enhance cross-platform content.
- Work calmly under pressure, react quickly, and meet tight deadlines. Able to lead with confidence and decisiveness.
- Encourage frank and constructive reviews of news content, and deliver employee performance reviews.
- Help to populate and maintain the editorial planning calendar.
- Edit print stories for online and social media publication.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum five years professional journalism experience, with management experience preferred.
- A four-year degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience as a reporter, producer, or editor as well as knowledge of digital and social media.
- Ability to do one’s own reporting when necessary.
- Familiarity with public radio programming is required. Previous public radio experience desired.
- A broad knowledge of local, regional, and national issues pertinent to Atlanta audiences.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to make solid news judgments and adhere to a high level of editorial standards and practices.
- Capability to write in clear, concise, and contextual manner – and to mentor others in broadcast writing.
- Willingness to work in a collegial and respectful manner to enhance a team-based atmosphere, utilizing effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Initiative to meet daily deadlines, edit and manage breaking news, and deal effectively with many tasks at once.
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts as needed, including weekends.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Click here to apply online.