Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 (ATL-PBA) and numerous podcasts and digital offerings. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org.
Public Broadcasting Atlanta is looking for a qualified candidate to create compelling news and feature content for radio, digital, television and other news platforms. The Politics Reporter will work with the Politics desk to craft daily newscast items, features stories, series items and work as part of WABE’s collaboration with National Public Radio.
Georgia’s rise to political relevance nationally will also require the Politics Reporter (in coordination with other members of the Politics desk) to manage national and international collaborations with other radio and television media outlets.
In coordination with the Politics desk, the Politics Reporter will be covering major events like the legislative session as well as upcoming gubernatorial and U.S. Senate races. The reporter must be able to build contacts within campaigns and administrations and be able to report complex agenda items in an accessible and of course accurate manner.
- Writing quickly and accurately on deadline for radio, digital and social about complex political issues for daily newscasts (when appropriate) and other platforms.
- Serves as WABE reporter for local and national news programs, presenting local news and feature reports.
- Works in cooperation with the news department to compile stories and live, on-air presentation of local content for news programs. This will be a combination of in-studio production, interviewing (some live), coverage of special news assignments as directed, working with technical equipment related to broadcasting.
- Serves on behalf of the station as a spokesperson and or representative at assigned station events or other community related forums.
- Other duties as assigned by Senior Editors.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Journalism or Communications Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent work experience.
- At least three years of experience working in digital or broadcast journalism.
- Impeccable news judgment and ethics.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a creative team to solve problems and achieve common goals.
- Experience with video and audio production tools, photography, social media.
- Work with team for on-air pledge drives as directed.
- Digital reporting/writing experience preferred.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment. Position, at least initially, will be located off-site in accordance with station policy on off-site work for most staff in response to coronavirus. Candidates must be willing and able to work from home but provide their own transportation to the station once off-site work conditions are lifted.
For consideration, submit cover letter, resume, and samples of work to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org