Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 and the digital service Atlanta PlanIt. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org.
This is a management position overseeing content editing across PBA’s digital platforms. The Sr. Digital News Editor will be responsible for executing the organization’s news digital strategy across its websites and social media as well as serving as a senior digital resource for the multi-platform enterprise content team. This role is part of the WABE News staff and works under the direction of the Managing Editor to uphold and implement and maintain consistency with the editorial vision across websites, social media and other platforms as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Managing Editor and radio news staff to shape the editorial priorities for the day.
- Work with news staff to adapt and create original content for the website.
- Update the website through the day, editing and curating stories for the digital realm, using digital tools for data, audio and visual effects and using analytics and latest best practices to make stories attractive to digital users.
- Collaborate with multi-platform content team to guide the creation of digital elements.
- Explore new technologies and improve use of current technologies..
- Create and contribute content to increase and enhance PBA’s social media presence on current and emerging platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, YouTube etc.
- Document and verify the continued growth of PBA digital audience by tracking metrics using Google Analytics and other tools. Must understand the fundamentals of web analytics, types of traffic etc. and be able to act based on the analysis.
- Create multimedia presentations using photos, video, graphics, data visualization tools etc.
- Coordinate, post and oversee live streams from outside affiliates and events.
- Would have some opportunity to do original reporting.
- Training and assisting staff as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree with Journalism or Broadcasting background or equivalent with 3-5 years of experience in digital media.
- Working knowledge of Google Analytics, Digital Content Management Systems (WordPress or similar software) and other web and Microsoft fundamentals.
- Impeccable news judgment and ethics.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a creative team to solve problems and achieve common goals.
- The position requires working non-standard hours from time to time.
- Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals will need to sit or stand as needed. Position may require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.