Public Broadcasting Atlanta (PBA) is a non-profit organization formally called Atlanta Educational Telecommunications Collaborative, Inc. (AETC). As a broadcast service, PBA is comprised of WABE90.1FM, WPBA-TV30 (ATL-PBA) and numerous podcasts and digital offerings. For more information on the broadcast service, programming and opportunities, please visit www.wabe.org.
About the show:
Closer Look with Rose Scott is a daily show about the Atlanta region, covering a variety of topics that impact our quality of life – transportation, housing, education, health and wellness, workforce development, politics, and more. Since the show launched in January 2015, host Rose Scott has interviewed thousands of guests including police chiefs, school superintendents, students, civil and human rights leaders, authors, entrepreneurs, doctors, and lawmakers.
Oversee all aspects of production for daily news/talk program. Lead and supervise producers, working in concert with the host. Ensure program consistently meets the highest journalistic standards of fairness and professionalism. Oversee creation of digital brand extensions and multi-platform elements of Closer Look stories and series. On-air hosting experience is preferred, but not required.
- In conjunction with the program host, the Sr. Producer leads editorial and production efforts for the daily Closer Look program.
- Communicates the vision of the program to the staff and collaborates with other departments.
- Ensures each day’s broadcast is of the highest standards and quality.
- Responsible for overall tone and editorial balance.
- Works closely with the program host and Director of Radio and Television to develop long-range editorial strategy and content plan.
- Helps to conceive program’s digital and social media content, taking an active role in extending the Closer Look brand to new audiences on multiple platforms.
- Consistently assesses the program’s content and priorities.
- Originates creative segment ideas for the program and helps produce those segments.
- Produces in-the-field reports and features to air in daily program.
- Line produces live broadcast of the program.
- Maintains/plans calendar of program content.
- Assigns tasks to producers.
- Develops and produces live special events and remote broadcasts.
- Cultivates sources at local community organizations, universities, businesses, government agencies, etc.
- Collaborates with Operations department on engineering and equipment issues.
- When applicable, fills in as on-air host or as interviewer for Closer Look segments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience producing programs that meet NPR standards.
- Proven ability to contribute to a positive, diverse, creative, high performance culture.
- Exceptional and proven management and leadership skills, with an emphasis in leading by example and supporting teams of creative professionals.
- Ability to evaluate content/quality/sound and act decisively with sound management.
- Ability to think and plan strategically.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships and represent program internally and externally.
- Ability to maintain high journalistic and production standards under deadline pressure.
- Understanding of today’s digital media landscape and how content can be produced to serve several audiences across various platforms.
- Hosting experience is preferred.
- Digital audio editing skills (Adobe Audition or other).
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong research skills.
- Ability to deal with a broad variety of complex projects and assignments.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment. Position, at least initially, will be located off-site in accordance with station policy on off-site work for most staff in response to coronavirus. Candidates must be willing and able to work from home but provide their own transportation to the station once off-site work conditions are lifted.
For consideration, submit cover letter, resume, and samples of work to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org