On Nov. 22, Spivey Hall will feature an online event with the British pianist Stephen Hough. Spivey will stream Hough’s July recital from the Casals Festival in Puerto Rico, followed by a conversation with the pianist and Spivey Hall executive director Sam Dixon.
Hough’s talent extends well beyond just the piano, being an accomplished writer, poet and painter. He was the first classical recipient of a MacArthur Fellowship “Genius” award in 2001. In 2016, The Economist named him one of the 20 living Polymaths of our time.
“City Lights” Lois Reitzes spoke with Hough about his virtual concert.
In the program:
- J.S. BACH/Ferruccio BUSONI: Chaconne, from Partita No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004
- Robert SCHUMANN: Fantasie in C major, Op. 17
- Franz LISZT: Funérailles, from Harmonies poétiques et religieuses III, S. 173 No. 7
- Franz LISZT: Mephisto Waltz No. 1, S. 514
- Robert SCHUMANN: Träumerei, from Kinderszenen, Op. 15 No. 7