The teenager accused of fatally shooting 8-year-old Secoriea Turner in south Atlanta last Fourth of July had his hearing rescheduled Tuesday.
Atlanta attorney Mawuli Davis is representing the Turner family. He told WABE’s “All Things Considered” host Jim Burress that 19-year-old Julian Conley is currently without any legal representation.
“The family came there, thought they would be able to see face-to-face the man accused of killing Secoriea Turner, but that did not happen,” Davis said.
“What we found out was the private attorney who walked Mr. Conley in, and turned him in, no longer represents him.”
Davis said the public defender’s office who had previously represented Conley now have a conflict and can no longer represent him.
“The family is being as patient as they can, but this is difficult for them,” Davis said.
Secoriea was killed near the same Wendy’s where Rayshard Brooks was shot and killed by Atlanta police a week before.
Protesters had blocked off the area with makeshift barricades, but eventually peaceful demonstrations turned violent.
Secoriea was killed while riding in an SUV with her mother, Charmaine Turner, and a friend. As the driver of the SUV approached the barricade, attorneys say one or more armed people opened fire into the vehicle, and Secoriea was hit.
The Turner family filed a lawsuit earlier this month in Fulton County State Court against city officials, including Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant, Wendy’s International and others.
Davis told WABE that city leaders showed negligence. The lawsuit claims the city failed to remove armed vigilantes who gathered at the site and police a clearly dangerous area.
Davis said a new hearing for Conley has been set for July 13.
Lily Oppenheimer contributed to this report.